Saturday, December 15, 2012

Art Walk at the Kodiak National Wildlife Refuge



Recently I participated in an art walk at KNWR back in November. The theme was recycled materials. I had been working on these jellyfish for my First Friday art show at Octopus Ink Gallery in Anchorage this month and decided to give Kodiak a little preview of the swarm I was working on. The jellyfish are made from plastic bottles and bags along with wire and yarn. The purpose if this installation is to draw attention to the growing problem of plastic in our marine ecosystem. I would like to see Kodiak embrace an ordinance banning plastic bags in our community, as many other coastal communities in the state of Alaska have already done so.

1 comment:

  1. The installation looks incredible, Elizabeth, and the purpose to draw attention to the problem with plastics is so important!

    ReplyDelete